car repairs


Question by  worker9269 (16)

How do I repair a four runners transfer case and oil plug?

I need to fix my transfer case and oil plug.


Answer by  NateB (571)

The oil plug is easy. Buy a new one from any auto parts store. The transfer case, however, is impossible to diagnose without more information. There are many things that could be wrong which means many different ways to fix each possible problem.


Answer by  dupont24 (42)

I would assume that the transfer case and plug are stripped.The most common method is to use a self tapping plug slightly larger than the original plug.If you do not know the thread size it would be recommended to take the old plug with you to a parts store and they should help you.


Answer by  suspexp (44)

The transfer case should be taken to an automotive repair shop, removal is a difficult process without the proper tools and equipment. If the oil plug is leaking, check that the threads are not damaged, and that it is properly tightened. If the threads are damaged they could be re-tapped to the next size larger plug.


Answer by  Doug77 (1433)

This is difficult to assist without actually seeing it but, I'm assuming the drain plug threads are stripped out of the case; It's possible that you can bore the hole out and re-thread it, replacing the plug with an over-sized one. Just make sure you can get an over-sized plug, first. There are various rubber plugs that may fit, also.


Answer by  worker3294 (236)

If the transfer case has gone bad, you can remove it and take it to someone qualified to repair it. I would recommend changing fluid first to see if that is all that is required. If the oil plug is stripped, you can try retapping the plug or using what's known as a Helicoil insert to rethread it.


Answer by  wykd (54)

Drain all fluids and dispose of properly. You may then either purchase an oversized rubber plug that will simple snap into place or you may use a tap and die set to rethread and enlarge the holes to a 3/4 inch inner diameter and purchase two 3/4 inch plugs with the matching thread size to replace both damaged plugs.


Answer by  MechMan3 (885)

If the transfer case is cracked, you should go to an auto recycling yard to get a used transfer case. If the plug is stripped, insert a oversize drain plug.


Answer by  carguy12 (136)

Well im not really sure what you mean by "repair" but if you may have to retap the t-case and buy a new plug.


Answer by  sscroft (76)

The easiest repair would be to find a single oversized plug and thread it in. But take your time threading it in.

You have 50 words left!