Question by  baldy (24)

What size wire do you need for 100 amps?


Answer by  kennethjgoodson (4903)

You will probably want to get a 6 watt wire to be able to run 100 amps. I have used that in my house and it works well.


Answer by  DrGats (12)

You will need a #2 copper wire. This gauge is rated at 120 amps which is well above your 100 amps.


Answer by  Stardancer (295)

The National Electrical Code requires the use of 2 gauge wire for a 100 amp Service Panel, Main Panel or Sub-panel installation. This size applies for either copper or aluminum wire installations.


Answer by  Anonymous

Go to your local home improvement store and use the charts for your particular application. Follow the national and local electrical codes. Considering the lethality/fire danger of high current applications, do you really want to do this work and are you knowledgeable enough? Please be careful.


Answer by  chandrasekhar (11)

For a rated ampacity of 100 Amp the size of the wire needed in American Wire gauge system is 2 gauge.


Answer by  lewismoeller (88)

You need atleast what is called 12/3 wire in most cases but it will vary depending on amps you will be drawing on a given circuit


Answer by  turkworker (1007)

For 100 amps, the wire size that I would suggest using a #2 awg copper cable. 100 amp is actually considered inadequate for today's residential use. The 200 amp is standard which calls for #2/0 copper cable. You can drop down a size for the neutral cable in both instances.

You have 50 words left!