Question by  livluvlaf (30)

What should I do if my son is AWOL?


Answer by  DouglasEarlClore (1236)

If you are in contact with him you should do everything you can to convince him to turn himself in to the authorities, hopefully within thirty days as there seems to be some sort of importatnce to that time period. It's best to get this behind him.


Answer by  Lexie (115)

If you know someone is AWOL then it is imporant, for both them and you, that you notify their chain of command immediately. If it is your son and you are scared for him then you can always notify the command chain annonymously, to avoid family discord.


Answer by  Desine (427)

Do your best to get in contact with him. Once you do, urge him to turn himself in. AWOL is much less serious a crime than desertion.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Since your son is in the military, you no longer have control over him nor are you responsible for his behavior. If he contacts you, advise him and encourage him to get back to base ASAP. He's already in trouble; prolonging the absence will just inflame the situation. Assure him that you love him and support him.


Answer by  Thejones (227)

AWOL is a high crime and can land your son jail time. If you know where your son is, tell him he needs to report to his base otherwise he could face a court martial and jail time.


Answer by  Fleshj (403)

AWOL is a very serious crime punishable under article 86 of the UCMJ that only gets worse the longer he is away. Eventually he will get a traffic ticket and get caught. The best thing is to convince him to turn himself in at the nearest recruiting station.


Answer by  josephmurphymcmillan (10)

You should first attempt to contact his friends or the families of his friends. He may just be at someone else's house and forgot to tell you.


Answer by  Pauli (43)

Encourage him to go back. If he goes back and turns himself in, he may be punished less. If he is found, then the punishment will be worse.

You have 50 words left!