how to  legal  name


Question by  tiduayeye (16)

How do you change your name?

I am over 18 and I want to change my name.


Answer by  LadyLawyer (325)

Simply file with the appropriate court; however, your state will have various reasons why you CAN'T change your name, such as: bankruptcy, criminal background, credit reasons. Each state is different, and you will have to put in your petition why you can successfully change your name with attachments such as a credit report, etc.


Answer by  Darry (3853)

You need to go to your local courthouse or records office, the office that issues marriage licenses. You need to prove that it is your choice to change your name. You fill out a form and will likely stand before a judge or other state official. It cannot be changed to something offensive or otherwise deemed inappropriate by your state.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

You of course have to be over eighteen years of age and you will have to pay a fee to the court. When looking for a name change you have to file papers with your local Courthouse and in most cases have to stand in front of a judge. He will grant or deny your request.


Answer by  Vllad45 (1886)

This is actually quite simple. Go you your local court house; you will be given a form to fill out. That's it.


Answer by  tschu (417)

Go to the social sequirty office and apply through them. After your name is legally changed change your name with drivers license, Bank, employer, and any bills.

You have 50 words left!